This guide, made by Rafael Durán Sáez, might be very useful for your campus life in Jiading. You can read it wether you are about to or already arrived in Jiading.
Tongji University – Jiading Campus
Hi, I am Rafael Durán Sáez and I have been studying a Master in Software Engineering at Tongji University Jiading Campus. Because it is a pretty new campus, I am going to introduce you a bit about the most important things to know that will help you to live here without any kind of troubles.
All the foreign students are living at Building 3 of the campus, where there are only international students; no Chinese students are hosted there. As can be observed in the following image, it is quite close from the main gate of the campus, around 7 minutes by walking and 3 by bicycle.
In our dorm, there are 6 floors with no elevator, and two different type of rooms: single and double. All the rooms are equipped with:
· Individual bed (per person)
· Double closet (per person)
· Desk and chair (per person)
· Double Shelf (per person)
· 3 wardrobes and a couple of drawers (per person)
· 4 plugs (Chinese and European models) and 1 Ethernet socket (per person)
· Air conditioner/heating system
· Hand sink
· Small water heater (to make coffee, for example)
Obviously, double rooms have twice what I have mentioned that is per person. Almost 50% of rooms are double and 50% are single. The sooner you arrive for first time to the campus, the easier will be to choose the type of room you wish. The prices for the rooms are:
· Double room: 35 RMB/night
· Single room (small): 40 RMB/night
· Single room (big): 45 RMB/night
Actually, I have to say that the difference between small and big single rooms is not so significant, but if you want a bit more of space, is worthy to pay only 5 RMB more.
There is a kitchen at each floor of the dorm. There are a couple of microwaves and a kind of ceramic hob. Tools like frying pans, cooking pots, etc. have to been bought by yourself. In order to use the kitchen you have to get a card at the hall of the building and charge it with money. It is really cheap and the receptionist will explain you how to do it.
There is electricity and hot water in all the rooms, but you have to pay them too. It is not expensive to charge your balance, around 20 RMB every 2/3 weeks will be enough, depending on the amount of electricity and water that you spend. In order to pay the water and the electricity you have to use the student card, which will be provided by your school in Tongji (student card should be charged with money at the canteen, whose location is detailed in the next section). Where can you pay the electricity and water? At the laundry behind Building 3.
The laundry is literally located at the back of Building 3. For arriving there, it takes a minute from the main door of our building: go out of the dorms and turn left; at the first corner (where there are four litter bins) turn left again; turn left again going downstairs; just after the stairs turn left and a kind of “hidden room” is the laundry.
The machine showed in the last picture is the one you have to use for charging your electricity and hot water balance. The instructions and steps to follow are explained in a sheet posted on the wall just next of the machine.
There are 7 washing machines; 5 of them work 30 minutes paying 4 RMB and the other two cost 6 RMB. There are also 2 dryer machines, which have a cost of 1 RMB per 5 minutes. I recommend paying around 8 RMB (40 minutes) for drying the clothes, depending obviously on the amount of clothes. All the machines just work with coins of 1 RMB.
There is another laundry where you just have to bring your clothes and they wash and dry them for you. I will talk you about that in the last section.
Another important issue is the Wi-Fi. It is accessible in the whole dorm and some areas of the campus like the schools, the “food street”, etc; however, you have to pay for it. The price is about 450 RMB for the whole year. Where can you buy it? At the China Unicom store (take a look at the following picture):
In the map you can see how to arrive from our building to the Wi-Fi place in 5 minutes. If you zoom the map, it indicates that there are some basketball courts next to the store, but it is not actually like this, so forget it. The name of the network you will be able to connect to is called “tongji.student.portal”. Once you try to connect your devices, your device browser will address you into a portal where you will have to input a serial number gotten in the store when you buy the Wi-Fi service and the password, which will be the last 6 digits of your passport. Despite of having paid the service, you will just be able of connect a couple of devices concurrently, so my recommendation is to buy a router (quite cheap and available at the store or other ones at the main street of the campus) and configure it in order to use the service with more devices. If you have a router and you are in a double room, one advantage is that you can share the internet and the price of the service with your roommate.
A couple more of advices I would tell you are about the visits inside the building and the food. Visits of friends, family, whoever are allowed from 8:00 – 22:00. They have to leave an ID card at the hall and they are free to enter in the dorm at the mentioned schedule. However, the doorman is not always able to differentiate the faces of the foreigners and usually falls sleep at 10 or 11 pm… 😀
There is no fridge inside the rooms. Buying a small fridge in Taobao website (Aliexpress) is a good idea and it costs around 20-40 euros.
The main street of the campus is full of restaurants. In the following map is highlighted with a yellow line. Eating there is quite cheap, depending on the restaurant and the food you take. Chinese food is cheap; you can perfectly eat for 10-20 RMB (less than 3 euros). There are places for Chinese food, hamburgers, pizzas, coffees, fruit shakes, snacks, etc.
The next list addresses my most frequented places. The names of the restaurants are invented by me, due to I do not know the real name of them.
· Manolín: this is my favourite place for eating even it is a little bit seedy. Cheap and fast, you can eat rice mixed with many different things like fried tomato and egg, vegetables, meat, etc. You can also order noodles. My favourite dishes are kung pao chicken with rice, tomato and egg with rice, eggplant with rice and noodles. You must try kung pao chicken.
· Canteen: it is located in the middle of the street. It is really big and cheap. You can take different kind of food by combining vegetables, fish, meat, noodles, rice, etc. in small portions on a plate. You can only pay with your student card, which can also be charged here, through a couple of manual machines or through a window where there is a man from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. to help you to charge the card.
· Coffee place: near the canteen, there is a place for buying coffee. It is more expensive than in Spain, around 3 euros, but is quite good.
· Fruit shakes place: Wide variety of addictive shakes. My favourites are banana-milk, strawberry-milk and orange-passion fruit. All of them are around 10-15 RMB
· Family mart and Lawson: there are few of them in the entire street where you can buy whatever you need.
Apart from these places, there is another area for eating, where the shopping mall is located. In this kind of shopping mall, there is a supermarket where you can buy not only food, but also cleaning tools, academic stuff, etc. Out of shopping mall, there are several restaurants: a couple of Italian restaurants, Chinese restaurants, a meat brochettes place, McDonald’s, Starbucks, etc.
Although you can take a beer in any family mart or restaurant, inside the campus there is nothing like what Spanish would call a bar “para tomar unas cañas”, but here is a restaurant, called Nuremberg, that is 100 meters out of the campus by going straight down from the main gate. They have very tasty hamburgers, pizzas and imported beer, a bit more expensive. Just 50 meters further from Nuremberg, there is a place called Barney’s Bakery, which is a really good bakery offering good coffee, good pastries and European bread on Wednesdays.
One of the coolest feature of the campus is its sport attractions. You can practice almost whatever you want: football, basketball, baseball, American football, golf, tennis, badminton, archery, a specific modality of kung fu, gym, outdoor space for body training, swimming, etc.
There are clubs of students aimed to practice these sports in groups and teams, which use to promote themselves at the beginning of the course at the street food. Apart from sport clubs, there are also other kind of associations related to other kind of activities.
The gym inside the campus is a bit old and crowded of people. Around 200 meters far from the main gate of the campus, on the same street of the mentioned Nuremberg and Barney, there is a gym called IOGym, very interesting, cheap and in good conditions.
For moving from the campus to downtown, you have to take the shuttle bus and the metro.
As can be observed in the picture, there are three different buses marked in red colour:
1- This shuttle bus brings you to the metro station called Shanghai Automobile City Station. The bus takes 10-15 minutes and departures once every hour. The timetable is post on a wall at the same place you take the bus. This bus also goes from the metro station to the campus. Usually the bus departures from the campus to the metro station at X:15, and from the metro station to the campus at X:30. Is free.
2- From this bus station, you can take a different bus that after two or three stops leaves you near the mentioned metro station. It costs 1 RMB and you can also pay it with the metro card. Near the metro station, at the highway, you can also take this bus for going to the campus, it also costs 1 RMB and it leaves you in front of the main gate.
3- This bus brings you to the other campus of Tongji University, called Siping. It costs around 5 RMB and it takes a bit more than an hour.
4- If you realize, on the top of the map there is another point marked in blue colour. It is a different exit of the campus through a small door. From that point, if you turn left and walk straight for 20 minutes (around 7 by bike) you can reach the other metro station called East Chanji Road.
In all the campus there are many yellow bicycles provided by OFO Company. They are unlocked by using their application, what is free for students and easy to download from the website. There is also a store for buying bicycles, costing from 15 euros to whatever you want to pay. In that place, they also fix bikes. It is located just 25 meters before the mentioned Wi-Fi place.
If you need to pick a taxi, you can ask it to the receptionist in our building or you can either go to the main gate of the campus and find one or order it through Uber or WeChat. This last one, offers a huge bunch of services that will help you like payment, taxis ordering, food ordering, etc.
In the following map, you can take a look to the location of the different schools of the campus. I have added a couple of them: the correspondent to Materials Engineering (I don’t really know if it is that one or the one just next to the indicated on the map) and the one of Software Engineering. The library is located near the sports installations. It is enormous and English books are located on the 10th floor. Just behind our dormitory (Building 3), next to the laundry, there is a study area called Venture Valley, what is a really calm place to study, take a coffee and even a nap.
Some other interesting things to know about:
· Campus address (helpful for ordering a taxi): 上海市嘉定区曹安公路4800号
· Laundry: on a parallel street of the food street, there is a place for bringing the clothes and they wash them and dry them for you. Is more expensive that doing it by your own at the laundry of Building 3, but more comfortable. There is an ATM near it.
· Post office: when you buy anything on Taobao (sure you will buy more than once), you have to enter the address I have mentioned above. Everything you buy on internet is sent to the campus and you can take it from one of these two different places:
o Parking of Building F: Under building F, there is a kind of underground warehouse where there will be sent most of the things you buy online. A message will be sent to you when the items arrive there.
o Food street place: just on a parallel street of the food street there is a kind of square where they also receive some packets. It is really close to the laundry place mentioned.
· Cinema and KTV: there are located near the supermarket, close to the Italian restaurants. Movies are displayed in original version and Chinese subtitles.
· ATM: There is an ATM opened 24 hours to withdraw money with any card you have, European or Chinese. It is located next to the laundry behind the food street, really near of the bar “Manolín”. Inside building F (the same where you pick the stuff you buy online) there is another ATM machine which also allows you to deposit money in case you have a Chinese card from the bank Agricultural Bank of China (ABC). I recommend you to create an account on this bank (there is an office at Anting, close to campus) because it is the only bank that has an ATM inside the campus allowing the deposit of money. Having this card you can also link it to WeChat and Alipay in order to pay with both apps.
· Buddy program: it is organized but some Chinese students in order to promote the integration of international students into their culture, activities, meetings and parties. They celebrate parties for Halloween, Christmas and so on.
· Chinese SIM Card: during the first week of the course, there will be many people promoting activities and services along the food street. You will see also people selling SIM Cards with special offers. If you don’t like any of the offers, at the end of the street food, just before arriving to the sports zone, there is a place for buying SIM Cards. I recommend contracting the service from Chinese Unicom.